Vision of the IAP
The IAP is an International Community of Prosecutors committed to setting and raising standards of professional conduct and ethics for Prosecutors worldwide; promoting the rule of law, fairness, impartiality and respect for human rights and improving international co-operation to combat crime.
Its mission is to be a world authority for Prosecutors in the conduct of criminal prosecutions and associated matters and to operate as an organisation of international repute and referral.
The objects of the IAP are :
- To promote the effective, fair, impartial and efficient prosecution of criminal offences;
- To respect and seek to protect human rights as laid down in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights proclaimed by the General Assembly of the United Nations on 10 December 1948;
- To promote high standards and principles in the administration of criminal justice, including procedures to guard against or address miscarriages, in support of the rule of law;
- To promote and enhance those standards and principles which are generally recognised internationally as necessary for the proper and independent prosecution of offences;
- To assist prosecutors internationally in the fight against organised or other serious crime, and for that purpose:
- to promote international co-operation in gathering and providing evidence; in tracking, seizing and forfeiting the proceeds of serious crime; and in the prosecution of fugitive criminals;
- to promote speed and efficiency in such international co-operation
- To promote measures for the elimination of corruption in public administration;
- To promote the professional interests of prosecutors and to enhance recognition of their crucial role in achieving criminal justice;
- To promote good relations between individual prosecutors and prosecution agencies; to facilitate the exchange and dissemination among them of information, expertise and experience; and, to that end, to encourage the use of information technology;
- To promote examination of comparative criminal law and procedure and to assist prosecutors engaged in justice reform projects;
- To co-operate with international juridical organisations in furtherance of the foregoing objects.